Saturn's Goal: A bookshelf full of books for each new Habitat for Humanity family.
Perhaps you've seen the study which says that children who grow up in a house with books tend to have higher reading comprehension and better mathematical and digital communication skills. Makes sense, right?
But in fact, the study found that it isn't until a home has 80 books that kids tend to reach average literacy scores. Literacy continues to improve as the number of books increases to about 350, at which point literacy rates remain relatively steady.
That study really pushed us to get this partnership with Habitat going. We do a lot to reach out to school age children, but this is a very concrete way we know that we can all make a difference for an entire family. The local Habitat for Humanity group builds an average of one house a year, and we'd like to be able to make sure each house comes complete with a full bookshelf.
The bookstore itself is, of course, donating. In fact, the bookselling staff were among the first to purchase books for the shelf. And we'd love to have you join us. Here's how:
- Purchase a book in-store at Saturn. We’ll give you a discount and sticker it as a gift.
- Keep your receipt as a record of your donation.
- Pop your book onto the shelf and watch the collection grow!
- Can’t donate a new book today? We’ll gladly accept a donation in the bucket on the counter. When enough is accumulated, we’ll use it to buy another book for the shelf.
- Ordering online? Please mention Habitat and which books from your order are a donation in the note section at check-out and we'll take it from there.
While any new book would be appreciated, the current family enjoys:
- Art and Drawing
- True Crime and Crime Fiction
- Cooking and Baking
- YA Thrillers and Fantasy
- Books on fostering creativity
- Disney books
- Books about new technologies
Thank you so much for your generosity. Together we can grow a community of readers!